Re: [OM] Stylus Epic vs. XA vs. Y*sh*c* T-4 Super

Subject: Re: [OM] Stylus Epic vs. XA vs. Y*sh*c* T-4 Super
From: Jim Houha <houha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 17:54:12 -0700
>Any potentially useful facts (and opinions, as well) would be
>appreciated on these three "shirt-pocket cameras" to be used as back-up.
>I'm trying to decide which to get.  BTW, it you have other suggestions,
>I'm all ears!  Thanks.

I have em all; an Olympus Stylus, an Olympus Stylus Epic, a Nikon 35ti, a
Ricoh GR-1, a Konica Hexar, and a Yashica T2 (but not the T4). They all
have sharp lenses, but the GR-1 consistantly produces really really sharp
images. Check out:

  http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~kennetht/GR1specs.html

for lots of GR-1 info. If you can afford spending $400, get the GR-1.
You'll be very  happy.

The regular Stylus has a larger brighter viewfinder than the Stylus Epic.
The lens is only 1 stop slower. Lots of places have the Stylus for $79 and
the Stylus Epic for $99. I use my Stylus much more than the Stylus Epic. If
you wear glasses (like me) you'll probably prefer a regular Stylus to the
Epic or the T4. The Epic also has a cheap plastic feel to it. The Stylus
just feels better and has a nicer finish.

The Carl Zeiss lens on the T2 is indeed sharp, but no sharper than the
Stylus in my experience. I've used a T4 and got good results, but on a par
with the Stylus, not better.

All these cameras overexpose when you use the flash at close range. The
GR-1, 35ti and Hexar let you set them to under expose by 1/3 stop and get
nice results.

The Hexar is uniquely cool in that you can tell the autofocus to focus for
infrared film. It also has full manual control, a truely excellant
viewfinder, and takes filters. Better to get a used one because the new
ones no longer have the 'Quiet' mode. Too bad its sooooo big.

I used to like my Nikon 35ti, till it got a little damp. It still works
fine, but the analog guages are messed up. And the GR-1 is better in every
respect (including price).

The Minolta TC-1 seems way too expensive, as do the Leica and Contax point
& shoots. They also have dinky viewfinders.

I also have a big pile of 70's era rangefinders including some Olympus
XA's, an Olympus 35 RC, and an assortment of Canon, Minolta, Yashica and
Konica rangefinders.

The XA's are really quite sharp on bright sunny days when you an shoot at
f11-f22. All these manual focus rangefinders are tricky to use at the wider
aperatures where the focus is more critical. I often get sharper pictures
with an autofocus camera. If you do get an XA, get a real XA (or the nifty
rare XA-4), not the XA-2 or XA-3. You'll pay conisderably more for a used
XA with A-11 flash than a new Stylus. The older Olympus 35-RC is a lot more
versatile than the XA. It has full manual control and shutter priority
automatic. The XA only has aper. priorty auto. For manual control you must
either select the +1.5 stop backlight option or fiddle with the film speed.

Canon rangefinders from the 60's and 70's break easily (as do those cute
little Minox's). The old Rollei 35's are cool but they're kinda expensive
and have no rangefinder.

Zoom lenses? just say no (except of course for the wonderous and
indispensable Sekonic Zoom-Master L-508)

Best buy:  The original Olympus Stylus

Best P&S of all time: *** Ricoh GR-1 ***

Other favorites: Olympus XA, Olympus 35 RC, Konica Hexar, Konica S3

Did I mention the GR-1? Great camera!

Jim Houha                                       Houha@xxxxxxxxxxx