Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 Solid Cat Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 Solid Cat Lens
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 16:08:26 -0800
Gary Reese wrote:

>> I've seen the 600mm offered at the swap meets for less, but never
>> below $400.
>
>I stand by the $109 I posted.  I'm starting to think I need to be
>a dealer, but the though of fleecing people abhors me.

Do you mean you saw one such lens selling at that price? Or, do you
actually have access to better market statistics than Mike McBroom?
Or, do you have a source (or multiple sources) that stock the above
lens in significant quantities and sell it for $109.00?  Or, do you
think that this particular lens is not worth more than $109, either
to you personally or to any Zuik out there?  Pls clarify.

Btw, if you can buy a Solid CAT 600mm in exc++ condition, preferably
with all the accessories, for $109.00, pls pls drop me a line in
private. There is a quick and easy profit for you here, as I'll be
happy to pay you a $50 premium on the above price. Heck, I will even
pick up the cost of shipping, and I promise to not ever feel even a
little bit fleeced. :-)  (Hey, hey! No pushing! I'm first in line :-))

A propos the lens on eBay: judging from its description, the offered
lens is far from mint. Last week, someone popped a query about the
solid CATs in the newsgroups. I replied to the guy in private, and
he later wrote to me with a similar story of a missing tripod mount
that had to be custom-made (machined). This fellow bought his lens
for only $100. (I don't mean to imply that he's the seller on eBay,
at least -- the e-mails are different).

Anyway, beware that in these lenses the tripod mount is a necessity,
not a luxury, and that Vivitar Corp. is unlikely to have any spare
parts left for them. Good luck to all bidders.

P.S. Doug N., would you pls repost the URL of the 2-nd Solid CAT
     that you'd found under Minolta on eBay search? Thanks, /G.S.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx