Re: [OM] Stylus Epic vs. XA vs. Y*sh*c* T-4 Super

Subject: Re: [OM] Stylus Epic vs. XA vs. Y*sh*c* T-4 Super
From: fdayrit@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 09:09:30 -0400

Ulf Westerberg wrote:

> Jim Houha wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >I've never been happy with flash photos on the Oly XA. You have to use one
> >of the XA flashes, The A-11 has settings for ASA 100 and ASA 400 only. And
> >it only uses auto mode.
>
> There is mode on the A11 for manual flash, FULL. The colour temperature of
> the A11 appears to be very cold.
>
> <snip>
>
> >Where the XA really shines is backpacking. Its teensy and light weight, the
> >battery lasts for years, and the lens is quite incredibly sharp at f16. Its
> >perfect for scenic shots. The XA is also terrific for discrete candid
> >shots. The shutter sound is nearly inaudible, and you can wait to wind it
> >untill its back in your pocket. The XA has no motor to whrrrrrr. It's
> >mechanicaly simple. There's a lot less stuff to break.
>
> It really is a beauty. At least to my eyes and ears.
>
> Ulf Westerberg

ulf

i can oly agree, my only problem is that i still haven't calibrated my XA
properly for the films that i want to use with it. have to make a gray scale
test with it and get densitometer readings to determine right asa settings. i
haven't been too happy with the results that i have been getting lately. but
this can be remedied with a few rolls of film.

francis