Re: [OM] Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash
From: fdayrit@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 09:28:36 -0400

Ulf Westerberg wrote:

> Hi Joel and others
>
> You wrote:
> >Oly Shooters:
> >
> >While I am not terribly fond of using flash, I have a Vivitar 4600 with
> >zoom head and bounce flash adapter. It is reliable on my OM-1 and with my
> >OM-2S it does TTL flash fine.
> >
> >Should I for any reason other than product loyalty consider acquiring
> >either a T-20 or T-32 flash?
> >
> >The one thing I don't really care for about the 4600 (aside from having to
> >use it at all) is that it's a monster compared to my OM's. Nor is it
> >particularly light. When I approach people with my rig it often perplexes
> >and scares them.  I like to shoot verticals and I acquired a Bachrach
> >bracket years ago.  With Vivitar's version of a duosync cord you can mount
> >the flash dedicated module on the camera and the flash on the bracket and
> >then rotate 90 degrees the bracket arm with flash attached to take
> >verticals.  Unfortunately I can't use the bounce flash adapter in that
> >configuration, but I can at least get decent verticals with direct flash
> >coming over the top of the camera. I would like to use bounce flash
> >shooting verticals. The Vivitar flash head rotates in about 15o increments,
> >so I guess I could play with the angles and practice bouncing off the
> >ceiling, but I haven't tried this as yet.
> >
> >I am wondering if some combination of T-20 or T-32 and a bounce grip would
> >give me everything I want and do so somewhat more elegantly.
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >Joel
>
> You might try my solution which is light-weight and close to what every
> photojournalist uses today: A bouncer/diffuser on the flash. No need for
> brackets, bouncing flashes to the ceilings etc. Even works OK for vertical
> shots. And there is a at least one aftermarket item taylormade for the T32;
> the OmniBounce, I guess it's distributed worldwide. I would be careful to
> manufacture my own, it's very hard to make these things totally
> colourneutral, and the slightest casting would clearly show, at least when
> you're shooting slides. As the T32 also is of the same compact design as the
> OM-bodies, this combo doesn't scare your victims away.
>
> I've used the OmniBounce extensively on the T32 with ISO 100 slide film
> (always TTL) and have got perfectly, soft, smooth flashing results. People
> usually comment that it is almost impossible to note there has been a flash.
>
> Best of it all is that it so light, cheap and low-techno. Very easy to use.
>
> Ulf Westerberg

joel,

i can only agree with ulf, at least in terms of using these simple flash
attachments. in the US, there is lumiquest which makes small attachments which
you attach using velco and they are basically not very obtrusive. if you want a
more studio look, there is the mini apollo by westcott but this will only make
your already large vivitar look like godzilla!! but they work beautifully. want
a pretty picture of godzilla or a scary one? ahhh... matter of taste i guess. oh
and lest i forget, the least high tech of all, at least if you are married, go
thru the wives hoisery and wrap that around your flash head, that always works
well just make sure you use it over the flash head and not yours.

as for buying the T-20/32, i think that they are fine flashes but way over
priced compared to what is out there. i would only buy a T32 if it were priced
below $100 US used. there are simply so many things out there that perform a lot
better. this is an area where oly has been very stagnanat. i have personally
moved on to a metz system which i can also use with my MF. the T20 i wouldn't
even consider at this point.

hope this helps!!

francis