Re: [OM] Screens and Metering

Subject: Re: [OM] Screens and Metering
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 15:49:46 -0700
>At 02:11 PM 5/31/1998 +1000, you wrote:
>>
>>>Hi John,
>>>
>>>I'm puzzled by your statement (as well as a statement in the FAQ) that
>>>these custom screen changes may, but also may not, throw the meter off.
>>>How can changing to a 2-(X) or Beattie seem to cause varying results from
>>>one camera example to the next?
>>>
>>>Joel
>>

>>It changes the light in the viewfinder where the manual metering is on the
>>earlier models.
>>
>>Foxy
>>

>OK, I understand. The screen is a variable in the metering complex of the
>OM-1 and similar models. But why isn't this the same for each instance of
>the use of a 2-(x) or Beattie in an OM-1, etc.?  It's the variation among
>samples of the same model that puzzles me.
>
>(Must be the batteries ... :))
>
>I'd like to buy a 2-13 for my OM-1. It's half the price of the Beattie and
>I can't believe the Beattie is twice as good.  But I hesitate because
>apparently one cannot predict the actual results it will have on the
>metering system, plus it involves altering the stock design to adapt it for
>use in the OM-1, hence no returning it for refund if the result is
>unacceptable.
>
>Joel

Joel,

I know there have been some very enthusiastic voices about these screen,
but frankly, the only time I can tell any difference at all between the
1-13 and 2-13 in my OM4Ti is with an F8 lens/multiplier combination in a
dimly lit room. Then there a small difference, but IMHO it is NOT dramatic.
I can detect no differences with an F2.8 lens in dim conditions. I was
thinking about a Beattie for my OM1n because the Beattie web page
implies(but does not promise) that metering is unaffected. After seeing the
very small improvement with the 2-13, I am going to save my money. Even if
it is twice as good, that does not amount to much. You are better off using
a tripod and a small FStop.

Winsor

Winsor

Winsor Crosby