Re: [OM] 357 batteries vs substitutes

Subject: Re: [OM] 357 batteries vs substitutes
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 09:58:27 -0700
MR THOMAS N CURLEE wrote:

> Winsor:
>
> Part of the problem is that it has been difficult to regulate from a
> low voltage source such as 2 , ~1.5V cells.  For example,  many of
> the common IC voltage regulators have a 'drop out voltage' of 1.5V to
> 3V.  This means that for a given output voltage you need at least 1.
> 5V higher input.  There are now IC designs that allow a step up from
> as low as 1.5V but draw much higher current than a battery design
> alone.  I would like to see a OM series camera using a single AAA
> battery.  It might be possible to design a metering system to use
> this low a voltage and still have regulation for the metering system.
>
> Tom

Tom,

To regulate the supply voltage with 1.5V or 3V input seems difficult,
but to generate an accurate voltage reference at 1.2V or so by IC is
very common. Also, some circuit designs are not affected by supply
voltage, such as the voltage gain of an OP-AMP. I think modern camera's
(even the OM4Ti) meter accuracy will not be affected by supply voltage
unless they drop to a level that the camera fail to operate.

C.H.Ling