Re: [OM] Fill-Flash (was "Stylus Epic vs. XA" etc.)

Subject: Re: [OM] Fill-Flash (was "Stylus Epic vs. XA" etc.)
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 18:34:17 +1000
>I haven't done much "manual" fill flash. When I've tried, I've had some
>success by finding an exposure a half stop slower than the flash can
>illuminate at the distance. This involves  1) composing and focusing, 2)
>reading the distance off the lens barrel, 3) figuring what stop is required
>shooting the flash in manual mode, then 4) selecting a shutter speed/f-stop
>combo which is a half stop slower than the flash so that the flash provides
>50 0.000000ill.

When I've done fill flash I use the flash output as the variable. If I am on
normal auto, on f8, and I want two stops less flash, I putthe flash to f4.
This makes it more sensitive. Or I go to manual and vary the output. Again
if ambient is f8 @ 1/60, I focus, read the distance and set the flash for
less output than the GN dictates. So if I was 4 meters away (GN 32) I would
set the flash to 1/4 power (GN 16). Or put two fingers in front of the
flash. I can never see a difference between one finger per stop and using
the flash selector to drop the output.