[OM] Play in lensmount

Subject: [OM] Play in lensmount
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 14:15:13 GMT
Hello all.

I have a question.

Last week I sold a Zuiko 8mm fisheye lens. The buyer pointed me to the
fact that the lens mount has some play. I quote:

>What really bothers me is that the real part of the lens (essentially the
>lens mount) is loose. It can be freely rotated by about 1 degree. This is
>certainly not how it should be. I can't see any obvious reasons (all screws
>look fastened). Also, it is probably not a transport damage, since the
>package  arrived without any damage, and you really took care in packaging
>it right.

I checked my own 8mm lens as well (both are in like new condition) and
it behaves a bit the same, although it is difficult to see if the play
is 1 whole degree or slightly less. If the buyer wouldn't have
attended me to it, I would never have observed... and I am a critical
buyer myself!
I wondered if I had perhaps been inattentive or careless, but on the
other hand a 1 degree rotation gives only about 0.3-0.4 mm shift on
the mounting ring rim.
Some of my other lenses, of which one brand new, has the same peculiar
(now I know it) feeling. I wouldn't call it 'loose' but certainly the
lens has a bit of play.

My question is, do you reckognize the phenomenenon, and if it should
be considered normal or not, or more precise: what play is to be
called 'within acceptable limits'.
And if it is a fault indeed, my second question would be how this can
be taken care of....

Thanks for all comments.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.