Re: [OM] Play in lensmount

Subject: Re: [OM] Play in lensmount
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 19:17:05 -0400
>I think Oly must have some specification for this, JH can tell.  When Oly
>moved from FTL to M mount, must have considered pros and cons, and this
>(slight lateral movement) may be said a con (with no pratical consequence).
>Y/C users boast the firmness of their mount, and maybe they could tell us
>if they feel a difference with OM.
>
>Marco

That's an interesting test, and I figured I might be the only one able to
conduct it, so here goes...

First, I tried a few Oly lenses, from the lowly 50 1.8 to the legendary 90
macro, on three different Oly bodies. I found them all the same as my
earlier test of the fisheye. That is, barely perceptible movement,
irrespective of body or lens. Some seems to come from the lens, some from
the mount. In any case, it appears to be measurable in fractions of a
millimeter.

Then, I tried a few Zeiss lenses on both an RX and RTS III. (BTW, at the
prices, let's consider ALL Zeiss lenses legendary <g>).

There is definite movement in the lens--I think even more so than the Olys.

Just for fun, I also compared to a few other cameras...

My Nikon 8008s has considerably more slop than either Oly or Contax.

My Leica M4P has no movement at all, but makes a slight noise.

My Mamiya M7 is best of all... absoloutely no slop OR noise.

IOW, it probably makes not a darned bit of difference. It's a helluva way
to buy a camera system!

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com