Re: [OM] super-wide angles

Subject: Re: [OM] super-wide angles
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 17:02:22 -0700
>If anyone has any experience using the 18mm or 21mm lens for landscape
>photography, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Do you feel that they
>add significantly to your craft or do you use them only rarely? I have a
>24mm that I use quite regularly and would be interested in knowing whether
>the extra field of view is worth the money.
>Matthew

>Dr. Matthew J. Cordery                    cordery1@xxxxxxxx
>Environmental Computer Applications Div.   (925) 423-6858
>Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
>L206
>P.O. Box 808
>Livermore, CA 94550
>
>A bad day in the mountains is better than a good day at work.

Actually, I used the 21 quite a lot before getting my 24. The 21 is very
similar to the 24, only more so. Easier to get perspective exaggeration,
when you want it and when you don't. You need much more care that the
camera is level. The sweep of sharp focus from foreground to background
objects is better. I find the 24 to be more all purpose and bought it after
discovering the Galen Rowell used it for more of his landscape pictures
than any other length, at least until he was seduced by Nikon into using
zooms.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California