Re: [OM] super-wide angles

Subject: Re: [OM] super-wide angles
From: fdayrit@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 07:04:21 -0400

WKato@xxxxxxx wrote:

> << If anyone has any experience using the 18mm or 21mm lens for landscape
>  photography, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Do you feel that they
>  add significantly to your craft or do you use them only rarely? I have a
>  24mm that I use quite regularly and would be interested in knowing whether
>  the extra field of view is worth the money.
>  Matthew >>
> I have all three but if you have a 24mm, then get the 18mm if you can.
> There's not a great degree of difference between the 24mm and 21mm and between
> the 21mm and 18mm.  My carry-around lens is the 21mm/3.5 complemented by the
> 28/2.8.  It's very compact and produces very high contrast images at the edges
> at the closer limits of focus when shooting foreground/backround perspective
> shots (which is what I like to use superwides for.) even though it doesn't
> have the special close up correction elements.  I haven't tried the 21mm/2
> though.
>
> Warren Kato
> wkato@xxxxxxx

that would be the only reason that i would buy a 21 mm, for the F2 opening. but
after reading the results of the 21 mm lens test posted a few months ago, i was
less enthused.i told myself that i will be using a tripod most of the time
anyway
when i use this lens thus, i saw less need for it. but being so wide, you can
basically hand hold the camera and have less chance of perceptible camera shake
on
the film. so the f2 opening will have it's attributes if you want to travel
light,
no tripod to lug around. but recently, i have found myself using a spirit when
taking landscapes, thus the need for a tripod, so that settled it, no need for
the
21mm F2 although deep in my heart i wanted one!!! confused? no longer. enamored?
definitely!!

francis