Re: [OM] Olympus and Apple (and question on TTL connector caps)

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus and Apple (and question on TTL connector caps)
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 19:00:01 +1000
>John;
>
>I had one of the orginal Amigas on my desk around 1984-5 when I worked for
>NASA.  It was way ahead of anything else.  I thought it was gone with the
>wind when Commodore folded.  Interesting news about a possible comeback.
>
>As for Apple, used lots of Macs at work. Did not fall in love.
>
>I use a Wintel machine at home.  Must admit it's VERY powerful and Win95 is
>reasonably reliable and worthwhile.  Having said that, let me add that I HATE
>everything about that arrogant phony Bill Gates and the ruthless Microsoft
>and would love an alternative, but most of my work-work is done in Wintel, so
>I must stay current.
>
>george

Jump straight to asterisks for OM content or read on if you are a computer
propeller head (like me)!

Couldn't agree more with the comments about Microshaft.

I have a new PowerMac G3 233MHz which according to BYTE (Jan 98 issue?)
rates at about twice the BYTEmarks of a Pentium II 233MHz. And does this
baby fly! I also run Virtual PC on this machine and you should see the jaws
of Win 95 colleagues drop when they see what my Mac G3 can do (I run Win
NT4 or Win 95 dual boot options and administer areas on our NT server from
this). My Mac and my Virt PC software are both networked with independent
IP adresses, so I can be browsing web content in one environment, while
using e-mail in the other. Using the save state option, I can quit Virt PC,
and when I want to re-launch, it restores my saved config and I'm ready to
work in about 3-4 sec (incl launching Win 95, Word and Excel 97). That's
way cooooool!

Oh, I also run Microsoft Office 98 on my Mac (which is newer than the most
recent Windoze version).

I'd say that makes me pretty current....  ;-)

Having worked with both and if given a choice in a perfect world, I'd
happily never touch a PC again as the user interface in Windoze is a real
shocker. Unfortunately, they are a necessary evil and own a massive piece
of the market (just like C*n*n and N*k*n dominate in Pro shooter ranks).
This doesn't make PC's better than Macs (just like C*n*n and N*k*n aren't
better than OM just because more people use them). I feel very sorry for
people who are talked into buying a PC by their "computer knowledgable"
friends (who may never have actually used a Mac to enable a fair
comparison) on the basis that  "PC's are the best because  that is what
everyone else uses".

How do you spell "l e m m i n g"?

Hell if I had that attitude, I'd go and buy a plastic piece of mass market
C*n*n junk and stick on a cheap nasty f4.5/5.6 plastic C*n*n-badged zoom
lens 'cause thats what everyone else is buying....

But hey, back to some quality OM photography please.....!!!

************

Can I ask what people do with the silly little caps off the front of the
OM4/4Ti that cover the TTL flash socket, when they have one of the OM TTL
Autocords attached? I recently purchased a TTL multiconnector, and want to
use a pair of T20s off-camera on a macro flash braket thingy one on either
side of the lens/TeleAuto Tube combo. This would be a great combo in the
field - except for that pesky little cap which I know I will lose if I take
it into the field and start attaching/detaching, but which I don't want to
remove all the time for field use as I guess it was put there for a reason
ie keep out dirt, moisture etc. Is there some sneaky little slot somewhere
similar to the clever one where you put the MD coupling cover inside the
Winder 2 battery compartment?

Is there a black market trade in these covers? What do other off-camera TTL
flash users do?

peter