Re: [OM] Backlight flare

Subject: Re: [OM] Backlight flare
From: Soenke Jansen <SoJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 15:05:15 +0200
PCACala@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Interesting possible thread.  I find the 24 mm f/2.8 single coated Zuiko real
> bad on backlight flare - unusable in fact if the sun can't be eliminated.
> Anyone else want to offer cautions for particular optics?  Anyone with a
> favorite optic for backlight situations with a lightsource in or near the
> frame?

Hmmm, IMHO the 24mm/2.8 MC-version at least is doing quite well in
situations with the sun in the frame. Of course, you do see some flare,
but it doesn't dominate the picture.
The worst results I ever got, were with the 75~150mm/4.0. With the low
sun just outside the frame, I wanted to picture an elepants head (in the
zoo of course, in march) with the steam from the nostrils and all the
bristly hairs on the trunk beautifully backlit. Well, on the slide she
was artistically balancing a set of colourful octagonal balls on the tip
of her trunk. Quite funny indeed, but far from the picture I had in
mind.
So from the limited set of lenses at my disposal, I'd rate this one the
most flare-prone.
Cheers,
Soenke, Hamburg