Re: [OM] OM77AF and Compatibility

Subject: Re: [OM] OM77AF and Compatibility
From: "Marco Tomat" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 7 Jun 98 12:05:10 +0200
On Sab, 6 giu 1998 21:27, Tomoko Yamamoto <mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>The failure of the OM77AF must lie somewhere else.  There is one exposure
>mode on this camera that is programmed automatic.  However, there are
>three
>built-in programs according to Shipman and auto program shift and manual
>program are explained, but it is not clear what the third program is.
This
>does not appeal to those who want to have a manual control over the
>camera.

Camera has: 1. Full P program. 2. "Shift" Program, that is
shutter-priority. 3. aperture-priority with "conventional" OM lenses
(Zuikos).

>While the film speed is read through the DX coding which is convenient,
>Olympus did not provide a way to override the setting.

Yes, one has to use AE lock for achieving a kind of compensation. Too bad.

>The motor drive is provided with this camera in the form of a grip.  Does
>this mean that the motor drive 2 cannot be used with the OM77AF?

The grip is needed for loading the batteries; there are two kinds of it,
100 and 300 (with flash); both are classifieds as "accessories", but you
must use either one or the other. MD is built in the camera. Of course no
other Motors or Winders can be used.

>Focusing screen: non-interchangeable but a bright super sumi-micron matte
>screen, which must be similar to the current 2-x screens.

Yes, it is very bright compared to 1-x screens.

>Flashes: the F280 flash works best with this camera, the T-series flashes
>also work.

And also common (manual or auto) flashes. F280 works in super FP mode with
AF lenses only. I use a Vivitar AF flash (with a bigger IR and R emission)
on it.

>Items that cannot be used with the OM77AF: Zuiko Reflex 500mm/8, Zuiko
>600mm/6.5, Zuiko 1000mm/11, Auto Bellows, 5-pin TTL Auto Cords for
>T-series
>flash, TTL Auto Multi Connector, TTL Auto Connector T20, Slide Copier,
Roll
>Film Stage and TransIluminator Base X-DE, Electronic Flash T45, Recordata
>Backs, Polarazing Filter POL, red filter R60.

It is strange you can't use a C-Pol filter (yes, Olympus says you cannot),
I think you can use Pols in MF mode. And of course you can use Bellows and
"big" lenses with an extension ring.

>Major Accessories: AF Lenses, Power Flash Grip 300, Power Grip 100, TTL
>Auto
>Cord F0.6m, Recordata Back 100, Dioptric Correction Lenses 2.
>
>Basically the OM77AF is not a system camera although Zuiko lenses can be
>used (no autofocus and no viewfinder display).

No other manifacturer released an AF camera with same screens and same
drives than MF ones. FI Nikon users need differend drives for: F, F2, F3,
EL, FA-FE-FM, FG, EM. That is 7 at all different kinds of drives, none of
which is compatible with AF (Fx, Nxxx) cameras. And the screens situation
is only slightly better.

>When I made a survey early this year, most people wanted either lens
>compatibility or system compatibility in a new OM body.
>(http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/OMtally.html)
>
>What do you expect from the lens compatibility or system compatibility of
>the new OM body, given the situation with the OM77AF?

I expect a new OM AF camera with the same (or better) AF performance as the
recent IF cameras. My opinion is this: Olympus should release the two IS
cameras (also) with interchangeable lenses in OM AF mount. And should
release the 28-110 and 35-180 zooms in both "conventional" and AF OM
mounts.

Marco