Re: [OM] Exclusively Oly

Subject: Re: [OM] Exclusively Oly
From: "Richard Dale" <Richard_Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 13:20:01 +0000
why did i stick with Olympus
Had to decide 5 years ago or so whether to go for auto-focus or stick with
OM, I
previously had an OM2n which I had decided to upgrade. Did a lot of
soul-searching but decided at the time that AF was not yet fully developed,
that the cameras would be offered with more and more facilities, that they
would become ever more obsolescent. Every 2 years you would be obliged to
update the body with the latest/fastest  model. I could not get to grips
with the apparent complexity of operation, after all there are only 3 basic
variables of camera operation, shutter speed, aperture & focal length. The
Minolta
offers a number of program cards which you are obliged to collect for
different situations, that is if you don't know anything about photography.
I decided instead to
take photography classes to see if I could  really take pictures.
It awoke some hidden talent, I have managed to obtain several distinctions
in the
UK City & Guilds course. A manual camera is essential for this type of
course, you are encouraged to switch off all automatic functions even to
use a handheld meter, though I still use aperture priority and spotmetering
on my OM4Ti. The main benefit was to develop an eye for pictures, in the
final event the camera (system) is really quite incidental, whatever you
feel comfortable with. I happen to feel comfortable with Olympus.