Re: [OM] Backlight flare [was: Olympus Prices in Japan]

Subject: Re: [OM] Backlight flare [was: Olympus Prices in Japan]
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 18:55:15 +0200
Gary Reese wrote:

>Interesting possible thread.  I find the 24 mm f/2.8 single coated Zuiko
real
>bad on backlight flare - unusable in fact if the sun can't be eliminated.

I agree with you totally. It took a while for me to make friends with my
SC-coated, requires great imagination to hide the sun behind branches etc.
Until I routinely began to use my hand to shade (camera on tripod) when the
sun was close to the frame, I used to go nuts. Throw the shade away, it's
totally useless, far to small.

>Anyone else want to offer cautions for particular optics?  Anyone with a
>favorite optic for backlight situations with a lightsource in or near the
>frame?  How about the 35 mm f/2.0?

Well, not too bad (mine is a MC), not the very best, but still good. Again,
the shade is useless, shading must be done with a hand, hat etc.

I guess it's blasphemy, but my wifes Pentax 28-70/4 zoom outperforms all of
my Zuikos when it comes to backlight situations!

Sorry.

Ulf Westerberg