Re: [OM] Reversing lenses for macro work

Subject: Re: [OM] Reversing lenses for macro work
From: Foltz & Hogan <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 08:51:25 -0700
Cc: flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Mike Bloor,

When you reverse a lens using a lens reversal ring you loose
the ability to stop down the lens via the double cable release
that is made by Olympus for the bellows.

A short (7mm) non auto extension tube can be used to keep the
lens stopped down continuously and also making the double cable
release unnecessary.  One can also make a similar rear element
protector by drilling a hole in a standard black plastic lens
cap and gluing a carpet tack in the spot where it will contact
the lever that stops down the lens.  If one also glues a filter
step up ring (49 to 55 mm) onto the back of the modified cap it
is good for mounting a ring flash or other attachments.

All three photos that I submitted to the Unofficial Olympus Gallery were
taken  with this device and the Zuiko 35-70 mm f3.5-4.5 on a Vivitar
macro extension doubler. The center photo had the lens in the normal,
not reversed direction with the device attached to the reversal ring and
the T10 ring flash.  I've found this method to be a good way to get
greater than 2:1 macro photos in the field.

http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/hogan/hogan.html

I am presently trying to adapt my lens back protector to accept
and use the double cable release which I expect will make focussing
a bit easier.

I strongly recommend that you make one of these little protector
devices before accidentally scratching an unprotected rear lens element!

--
Thomas "Hank" Hogan
Biologist, Photographer, Web Designer, UNIX - user