[OM] Wedding Shots and Being Sued - Low OM Content

Subject: [OM] Wedding Shots and Being Sued - Low OM Content
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 98 14:43:43 BST
The following has been a big news story here in the UK.  Taken from the
British Journal of Photography ENewsletter.

SNAPPER LIVID IN WEDDING PIC ROW

'The Torquay (UK) photographer who was ordered by a judge to cough up £2000 for
producing an 'inferior' set of wedding pictures, and then found the story
and pictures splashed across the national press, is suing for breach of
copyright.

Maurice Sims admits there were problems with some of the photographs he
took of Julie and Harry Lannon's big day, but tells BJP he is angry that
none of the papers who ran the story had reported the fact that out of the
79 images taken, the couple were only contracted to choose just 40.

Some of the shots had distracting backgrounds: one picture clearly showed a
member of the Monster Raving Looney Party with a giant yellow banana. Sims
charges £25 to cover a wedding, but as the couple refused to hand back any
pictures, he tried to sue them in the local County Court. Sims says he has
now instigated legal proceedings for breach of copyright against a number
of newspapers and the wedding couple.'

In one shot Sims asked the bridesmaids to bend their knees and crouch
slightly whilst standing in front of the bride and grrom so that their
heads could also be in the group portrait - you have to see the photo. to
believe it.......

Having refused to do wedding photography for friends on a number of
occasions I was finally caught by an ex-friend who called me on the morning
of his wedding as I was putting my togs on and asked me for a favour...
You guessed it, I had already refused to do the wedding and of course said
I would be more than happy to do anything in my power, he claimed to have
forgotten to book a photographer.........  I did the job using an OM2N,
T32, and 35-80 f2.8 Tamron - he got some good shots, but it was the start
of a slide down a long slippery slope for the friendship.

Let's be careful out there........

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com