Re: [OM] Kodak High Speed IR

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodak High Speed IR
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:27:21 +0200
Chmielewski, Artur wrote:

> Hi!
> A couple of days ago I asked a question about Kodak HIE IR film vs.
> Olympus dimpled film presure plate (BTW: tahnx for all answeres!). Some
> of you confirmed that there is really a problem - you can observe the
> regular pattern on the film. I've yust made an experiment: I've exposed
> a roll of K-HIE using my Olympus OM-4 and besides the problem, that
> Kodak-authorised laboratory has fogged the half of the film (sic!), I've
> got excellent results -there is no pattern at all or at least I can't
> see it. It even seems as it wouldn't be the matter of picture's subject
> (somebody suggested that especially the sky area can be touched by the
> problem) - I've made different subjects - some are more smooth than
> others and all (i.e. these not fogged) seems to be OK.
> Regards,
> Artur

Hi Arthur,

Your lab experience confirms that if you want something done properly,
you must do it yourself. I toyed a bit with K-HIE films once and never
had any problems when developing it myself. Never noticed any dimples
either.
I seem to remember that the film comes in a special container, which
should only be opened in a darkroom. At a guess, the film casette was
taken out of the special container outside the darkroom at some stage.

When shooting in the IR, also consider colour IR film. It can add some
really weird effects to your landscape pictures.

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"