Re: [OM] Exclusively Oly

Subject: Re: [OM] Exclusively Oly
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:12:36 +0000
> From:          "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> As for the recent improvements in film
> technology, let us be careful not to grin to greatly - the digital
> age is already here and our precious silver and chemical craft's
> days are numbered.  It's is > John P

As I recall, Kennedy and Lee have gone into some depth of technical
explanation on the current state of the art regarding CCD technology
and the likely prospects for advancement in this area.  I believe
the conclusion was that silver based technology is safe for quite a
while yet.

As I understand it, Moore's law can not be directly extrapolated to
CCDs and that it will be a long time before full colour 35mm
equivalence is reached.  MF isn't remotely in danger of being
supplanted on anything other than a multi decade timescale, totaly
new and unforseen technological breakthroughs not withstanding.

Giles