Re: FW: [OM] Exclusively Oly

Subject: Re: FW: [OM] Exclusively Oly
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 17:21:06 -0700
>>>I somehow doubt Ansell Adams would have had the same impact in 35mm -
>>>even with Ilford Delta Pro ;)
>>>
>>I agree with your sentiment, but Ansel did not do much medium format. Lots
>>of 4x5 up to 8x10 inch negatives.
>

>SAY WHAT????
>
>Ansel Adams shot huge numbers of pictures with Hassleblad and, GULP, film
>provided by Poloroid.  Many of your favorite Yosemite pictures were 6x6.
>Whenever he gave a workshop he used 4x5 or even 8x10, but his personal axe
>of choice was the 'blad.  The archives are loaded with 6x6.  Late in life he
>returned to his large-format roots, but there is about a 20 year span of
>mostly medium format.
>
>Still, he was the master of the darkroom.  Just think, he has fooled most of
>us into thinking that those horrible 6x6 emulsions were actually taken with
>4x5 or 8x10.
>
>Ken N.

I should have been more precise. Most of what people know of the quality of
Adams work is the large format. I know he shot medium format and Polaroids.
He even shot some color. He was after all a commercial photographer and
delivered what was asked for. He made it pretty clear in some of his
letters how unhappy he frequently was in the situation. For instance he
really hated working in color. Like any artist he had to get assignments
that paid something without being too disagreeable to his sensibility. In
addition he did like to experiment. However, the prints that are usually
displayed and reproduced which people think of when they say Ansel Adams is
the large format stuff. The set of photographs  he selected as his best
work for the museum collection were almost all large format. I was
fortunate to see the museum collection when it visited the LA Co. Museum of
Art. They were only a couple examples of 6x6 and the prints were much
smaller than the others to preserve their quality and yet they did not have
depth and texture of the rest of the exhibit.  The exhibit was astoundingly
beautiful.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California