[OM] More boring Wedding stuff...

Subject: [OM] More boring Wedding stuff...
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:22:47 -0500
I'm sure that half of you are bored with my ramblings about wedding
photograpy, but here is another posting as my carpel-tunnel isn't bothering
me today.

Reprint nightmare:  When marking up the reprint forms make sure that you
check the right box.  I ordered a 16x20 of a rather boring shot.

Proofs are done from last weekend's wedding.  I didn't do as bad as I
thought. Yes, I blew some exposures and focus, but the reshots saved the
day.  Favorite pictures of the day were taken with the 24mm lens.  I might
put a picture or two from this wedding up on the gallery.

Film comments:  Do to an availability problem, I shot Vericolor PPF (400) in
the Mamiya and Fuji NHG in the OM's.  The Fuji was better than the Vericolor
in color and contrast, but the Vericolor has slightly better grain
structure.  Both color correct for tungsten very well--much better than
their predecessors.  Matching shots from both types of film isn't a problem
as they both are almost identical, except Fuji needs just a little "dumming"
to match the PPF.

Mistakes I made?  I had the flash standing too high for the formals which
caused harsh lighting on the faces.  Would have been fine if I used an
umbrella.  Also, I didn't use a slaved strobe for the background.  It would
have been perfect if I opened up one stop.  Some of the window shots did
have too much contrast.  Next time I'll use a reflector to bring up the
shadows.  Stupid mistakes, really, but still the results are more than
adequate.  Boquet toss was a disaster shot--crowd of women was too dark and
the boquet went out of the frame.  Garter belt shots were perfect though
(entire sequence).  First Dance?  Don't ask--pretty bad.

The OTF flash worked beautifully.  For this church I typically used F6.7 at
1/60 with the flash.  The balance between flash and ambient was perfect.  No
caves, but a nice rich background that was about .5 to 1.5 stops down.  OTF
didn't mess up a single picture in this wedding.  Absolutely perfect.  (I
just need to figure out why it was misfiring).  For ambient light shots, I
was using F5.6 at 1/60 or equivelent.

I used the IS-3 for a couple rolls of film and the images are razer sharp.
I am using Aperature Priority and I also set it to 6.7 or F8.  I am
discovering that the G40 flash is underrated.  Without reflecting surfaces,
it seems about half a stop slow.  I'm going to exposure compensate +1/3 and
see if that improves matters.

How did the Mamiya work?  Exceptionally well.  I only blew focus on two
shots.  The rest are sharp enough to draw blood.

Ken N.