Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive

Subject: Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 11:51:18 +0200
Richard,

You wrote:

> The problem lies in the general smaller market for SLR cameras. I doubt
> Olympus could ever again compete with the numbers the big three sell in
> the SLR market (my impression is, that Pentax has to struggle to be in
> this market).

You should never say never... The potential is there, the question is
how to bring it out and do something about it.

> My words, but advertising is not only to buy space in photo magazines,
> dealers needs a financial "stimulus" to sell Olympus instead of Nikon or
> Contax. Writers of photo magazines has to be invited to Japan or other
> interesting places to "test" the equipment and to "write" a book about
> the OM system.
> Such measures should stop the hearsay.

Actually, I think Francis are right. Olympus must have something new to
advertise. THEN the photo dealers can have something new to sell and
hopefully promote for. I am not sure though, that this would stop any
hearsay. This kind of phenomena is very hard to get rid of. I think the
only real way to stop hearsay's, is to actually produce top quality
cameras, lenses and accessories and advertise these products. As Francis
earlier wrote "...only produce top rate lenses that nobody can
question."

--
Regards/
  Ingemar Uvhagen