Re: [OM] Question on AC adapter for T32 flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Question on AC adapter for T32 flash
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 13:01:39 +0100
In article , Andrew Wiese <awaxx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>Garth wrote:
>
>>My old Vivitar 283 came with instructions to "form" the capacitor at
>least once a month if it was stored for any length of time, to keep the
>cap in good shape.  I've owned it for fifteen years now, and it's still
>going strong.
>>

>I inherited one of my 283s from someone who used (and formed it) maybe
>once every 1 or 2 years, for about 18 years, and it's still going great
>guns.  Those 283s are some darned fine pieces of equipment.

Similarly, I had a National PE5650 hammerhead style flash that I bought
about 25 years ago and used almost daily for 10 years.  It then spent
about 12 years in the attic boxed and unused.  When I brought it down
about 18 months ago I was expecting problems with the capacitor and/or
tube, but it powered up fine and a test roll of film showed that it
still had the same peak power as when used every day.  This would
indicate that both the capacitor and the tube were fine.

Incidentally, the reason I stopped using this really excellent flash was
that I had built a dedicated adaptor to work with the OM-2 in OTF mode,
but it was incompatible with the OM-4 when I bought it.  I never really
had the time to adapt the design to the OM-4, so I bought a much smaller
and convenient T32 instead and retired the old bruiser, only bringing it
out when I really needed that 56m guide number.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)