Re: OM-4 Wish List (was Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive)

Subject: Re: OM-4 Wish List (was Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive)
From: Wijsmuller.VanderBel@xxxxxx
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 22:04:46 +0000
Paul D. Farrar wrote:

> One possibility would be something like the Rollei 6008 master control,
> possibly
> built into a back. The OM-4(new) would have flash memory and a network
> connections to the back, the flash and motor drive (both by multiplexing on
> existing pins), external devices (light meters, PCs and pocket diaries,
> remote flashes) through wired and wireless connections, and, later on, the
> lenses, which would be ROMed like Leica's new ones. A large number of
> functions could be added,

> JUST BY CHANGING THE PROGRAMMING.

Great idea, Paul. It makes you wonder why the N*k*n F5 is not equiped
with something like that (or is it?). 'User functions' seems like a
somewhat limited attempt to introduce this concept.

On top of it, you could introduce 'every feature has its price',
where you would send your body to the service organisation to have
your selected features 'installed' (hey, this might stop those never
ending discussions about which features are necessary ;-)

I like your idea of selecting the lens in use, in order to show the
diaphragm in the finder. And I would go for the memory function, as I
now often wonder what the difference between some pictures was.

Could it be realised by an external company? I guess so (allthough
not in an economical way?). We could design the user interface on
this mailinglist and send it to Olympus. All they need to do is build
it ;-). With the current exchange rate they'll love to save on R&D,
so..

Frank Wijsmuller.