Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive

Subject: Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 12:28:54 -0700
>In article , fdayrit@xxxxxxx wrote
>>Stuart Goggin wrote:
>>
>>> Actually I would be happy, in fact really, really happy, if they simply
>>>made
>>> the 2000 compatible with a motor drive and OM focussing screens.
>>> Shouldn't be too much to ask as the focus screen looks to be about the same
>>> size, and I am sure that the mechanical changes would not amount to
>>>much for
>>> the motor drive.
>>>
>>> Stuart Goggin
>>
>>stuart,
>>
>>this would really be nice but given that  cosina designed and produced OM2000
>>was made in collaboration with probobly nikon, this would really be a design
>>change to fit a motor drive to it. this might even mean a complete redo
>>of the
>>shutter mechanism for it to tolerate the stress of a motor drive. we can only
>>hope that there are other things in the pipeline that is along the true OM
>>lineage and not cosinas in disguise.
>>
>>francis
>>
>One reason that I would not like any development of the OM system to be
>based on the OM2000 - I don't recall seeing this elsewhere - is that the
>shutter speed dial is in the WRONG place.
>
>A significant input on my purchase of an OM-1 all those years ago was
>the placing of the shutter speed ring around the lens barrel.  I had
>used a Nikkormat a couple of times before that had this arrangement and
>found it far more convenient than the 'traditional SLR' inaccessible
>placement on the top plate.  As far as I am aware, Olympus are the only
>manufacturer that kept a common sense position of this vital control
>that could be operated by the left hand while the right hand index
>finger stayed over the shutter release.
>
>Any future OM camera (though I personally doubt the rumours) must have
>this feature IMO.

I agree, unless the shutter speed dial were placed hanging over the front
edge of the top place like some of the old Canons so it can be rolled with
the edge of the right index finger without changing the grip of the hand. I
have never minded the placement of the Olympus shutter speed ring, just its
stiffness and difficulty of operation.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California