Re: [OM] Blank generation

Subject: Re: [OM] Blank generation
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 15:08:55 -0700

Simon wrote:

>What I was hoping to find was a thread from a couple of months ago in which
>someone said that the US Army kept its most important records engraved on
>metal because of the impermanency of other media.  As you pointed out magnetic
>tapes have a very short life span.  Digital media might not be so perishable
>but the hardware is developing so fast that in many cases the information is
>there but impossible to retrieve.

Stone seems to be the longest lasting medium, with paper after that.
Seriously, black and white film, archivally processed has great staying
power. Matthew Brady's Civil War photos are still around. Color photos, of
great value, can be preserved by making color separations for dye
transfers. wc

>Now for some Olympus content....   I value the lightness of my 135mm F3.5 and
>I'm prepared to sacrifice some screen brightness in order to get it.  But am I
>also losing picture quality by using a cheap lens.  Could anyone tell the
>difference between pics taken at F8 on cheap/expensive Zuikos of the same
>focal length?

I doubt anyone could tell the difference by looking at the photos. You
might check out the lens tests compiled on Lee Hawkins page, wc:
http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.html
>Simon
>PS is there an easy way of getting these little arrows (>) at the start of
>each line without typing them in individually?:^)

I think the little quote marks are part of the particular EMail program you
use. I use Eudora Lite on a Mac running OS8 and the 'Paste as Quotation'
appears in the 'Edit' menu only when the Eudora is running. If you are
running EMail bundled in a browser, they usually do not have much in the
way of features. wc

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx