Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive

Subject: Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive
From: "Andrew Wiese" <awaxx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 20:10:57 PDT
Kennedy wrote:
>A significant input on my purchase of an OM-1 all those years ago was
>the placing of the shutter speed ring around the lens barrel.

Absolutely.

Another thing, throughout this thread there have been references to the
desirability of autofocus.  Now quite apart from the unlikelihood of
Olympus producing an autofocus range of lenses, and assuming C*nt*x's
backfocussing is patented (and wouldn't fit in an OM body),
one of the great pleasures of the Zuiko lenses, apart from image
quality, is their 'feel'.  The positive feel of manual focus is
completely lost in autofocus lenses I have tried (eg S*gma, C*n*n etc.)
The 'feel', and I think manual precison, is lost to compromises for
speed of focus.

Perhaps focus confirmation (suggested elsewhere in the thread) might be
an appropriate compromise, without affecting the design of the lenses.

Regards

Andy