Re: [OM] Straight 2X Magnifier for Viewfinder

Subject: Re: [OM] Straight 2X Magnifier for Viewfinder
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:05:47 GMT
On Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:05:51 EDT, ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi All,
>I was reading in a book last night called "The Lens Book"  On pg. 51 it
>referenced a Nikon 2X attachment for the viewfinder that is not a right angle
>but just sticks straight out.  I think this would be a nice addition to our
>Varimagni Finder for a straight view in macro work.  Does anyone know if there
>are any after-market or other brands out there that would fit our OLYs?
>BW

Hello BW (black & white?)

I always use a straight viewfinder magnifier (between 1.6x and 2x)
when doing macro work with moving creatures. I cannot get used to the
reversed image of my Varimagnifier unless everything in the frame is
dead and still. I know HAMA made a non-reversing right angle finder -
but 'in the field' I prefer a straight viewfinder over a 'waist-level'
device anyway. Of course the right angle ones are best when the camera
is on a vertical macro stand on your desktop.

I made several of those straight magnifiers myself - I have never seen
one made by Olympus for OM.
For two of the three I own now I sacrificed an Olympus eyecup 1 -
glued or screwed the camera attachment part of it together with the
optics of a non-Olympus magnifier. In one of them I even managed to
insert a minus 2 diopter - without it it couldn't be corected enough
for my minus 6 nearsightedness...

Normally the straight magnifiers sell for about $25 used here.
Combined with a $10 used eyecup 1 you have a cheap and very useful
accessory. I really couldn't do without. The usage of this magnifier
is also what made me stick to the microprism-type focusing screens. I
think there is no better focusing aid (at least for my eyesight) than
this combination: small straight magnifier and 2-13 screen (or Beattie
with microprism).

There is one small drawback due to the modification. Most straight
magnifiers have the possibility of folding it up to look through the
bare viewfinder (e.g. to see the meter needle). This is almost always
impossible with the self-built devices: the plates which hold the
hinge have to be removed to make place for the eyecup mount. Only one
of my modifications still has the hinge: here the eyecup wasn't needed
because the original mount could be filed wide enough to fit to the
camera viewfinder directly.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.