Re: [OM] Oly source in NYC?

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly source in NYC?
From: fdayrit@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:40:29 -0400

RobFilms@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm a p/s Dad who misses his Minolta x-700 (it was stolen) and thought about
> getting an AF Canon ElanIIe or Minolta 700si.
>
> Friend of mine had OM-1 which I used at a picnic and really enjoyed.  Since
> then I've been reading the boards for all the info I could injest.
>
> Being in NYC, went down to B+H but, understandably, they don't want to talk
> about cameras-they want to sell cameras.
>
> I'm looking for a source of information in NYC area that I could ask questions
> of/or help find a quality used Oly.
>
> Right now, from what I've read, I'm leaning towards a Om2Sp.  The idea of a
> OM4 is very intrigiung.  With a 50mm prime and maybe a long prime (100mm?),
> I'm willing to spend @$400.
>
> Anyway, I'm looking for a NYC source.  Any around?  Coffee and pastry on me
> and I'm willing to travel anywhere in the NYC metro area.
>
> Thanks in advance

rob,

also live in nyc, at least for the next month, and problem is that most places
here are just interested in selling
cameras.  maybe i have found one or two that would really talk to me at length.
the other problem is that if i go and
don't buy, they tend to remember me. not hard to remember a short asian.  i
have found a few friends here. one, is the
rollei TLR expert of B&H who knows enough about oly to be willing let you
handle the cameras that they have. go look for
gerry hughes, he usually stands on the right side of the used camera counter
when facing the counter. tall guy with
glasses. the other guy who stands beside him with the beret and is on the
healthy side is also helpfull, goes by the
name of ari randazzo. i've been able to get great camera's from them. one was a
mint OM-3 in a box!! tell gerry i sent
you. hope this helps.

francis dayrit