Re: [OM] FEAR of Cleaning - What's the solution?

Subject: Re: [OM] FEAR of Cleaning - What's the solution?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 22:54:45 -0700
>Bob wrote
>>
>> >I'm in a lens cleaning quandry.  I've tried "ROR'" cleaning fluid along
>> >with genuine Olympus lens cleaning tissue (given away to all who came to
>> >the Olympus booth at a local show).  The problem is all those residual
>> >streaks and spots.  What's worked for you?
>> >
>> >What about filters? They accumulate the most dirt.  My optician
>> >recommended a diluted Windex solution - the same thing he uses for his
>> >work. FULL IMMERSION - That's what he recommends.  What do you think?
>> >Bob
>> >
>> I thought that filter paper and fluid cleaning of lenses had disappeared
>> along with single coating on lenses. Isn't the current accepted practice to
>> use canned air and microfiber cloth?
>>
>> Winsor
>>
>> Winsor Crosby
>> Long Beach, California
>> mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> < This message was delivered via the Olympus Mailing List >
>> < For questions, mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
>> < Web Page: http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/olympuslist.html >
>
>Hi Winsor,
>Canned air has become a staple but do you think the microfiber cloth is
>up to the task when there are oil based deposits?  Also, wouldn't you
>recommend some kind of liquid to loosen things up rather than grind them
>in?
>
>-Bob-

I did not invent the method, but it seems to be the currently accepted way
of cleaning a lens. I have seen several articles in Pop Photo in the past
couple of years.

I have observed that the microfibers do easily and completely lift off oily
deposits. The cloths are not treated and are washable. It is the physical
structure of the microfibers, apparently, that enables them work
effectively and safely. The lens certainly ends up looking much cleaner
than if fluid and paper were used. They work on eyeglasses as well.