Re: FW: [OM] Manual vs Auto Mode?

Subject: Re: FW: [OM] Manual vs Auto Mode?
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 09:46:02 -0500
>I was thinking of using Kodak Royal Gold 200 and 400 as film, as I've
>good results with it so far.  I've obviously never done this sort of
>thing before, and I'm doing it more as a favour, as the couple can't
>afford a pro, but I'm intending to do it as 'pro' as possible.  I've
>already planned to sort out what shots they want, what shots I thinks
>they should have, and to case the place beforehand. Fingers crossed.

Many pros will actually use Gold 100 for wedding work!  I wouldn't.  There
is something truely amazing about how Vericolor and the Fuji
wedding/portrait films warm the backgrounds.  Kodak Gold films will have a
tendency to make the backgrounds to "harsh."  Hard to describe it other than
the backgrounds are to enhance to subject, not detract from it.  The
contrasts are much more subtle in the pro films and you won't lose shadow
detail as fast.

It really doesn't matter which brand you use.  I prefer Fuji as it is 15%
cheaper than Vericolor.  I just got my portfolio reprints back from the last
wedding.  I had some 5x7's made up of 20 shots.  You are extremely hard
pressed to identify which camera/film took which shot.  (Vericolor PPF in
6x7 and Fuji NPH in 35mm).  I had a portrait shot taken with both cameras
and had them both reprinted.  The similarity is amazing.  I actually prefer
the Olympus shot over the Mamiya shot.  At 8x10 you can easily identify the
35mm shot because of grain, but not of sharpness.

Ken N.