Re: [OM] 100mm/f2 and Photojournalism

Subject: Re: [OM] 100mm/f2 and Photojournalism
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 09:54:26 -0800
Buddy Walters wrote:

>schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< I am still in the dark as to the reason, or common-sense(!) explanation
> for the 85mm lens desirability and/or supremacy. Is it just a fad, esp. in
> the U.S., or is there some very important point that I'm missing? >>
>
>Hi Denton,
>I have absolutely no idea.  But, I think I heard somewhere that 85mm and
>24mm are the two prime lenses used by Photojournalist?  If the big boys
>have developed such fast 85mm's, then they have a market willing to pay
>the price.

I'm no photojournalist, but AFAIK, for the longest time their Numero Uno
lens was the N*kk*r 35mm F1.4 -- a terrific "wunder-lens" that had almost
no competitors (ok, Zeiss and Leitz also made them, but at double/quadruple
price tags). The great advantage of a wide-angle lens in the manual focus
era was that you didn't have to worry too much about focus/DOF.

When AF cameras were introduced, many photojournalists added N*k*n's
excellent 80-200mm F2.8 zoom to their camera bags. N*k*n apparently
decided to do one better on its 35/f1.4 lens, and released a 28mm F1.4
AF Nikkor, which at $1790 (B&H price) forces even the tamest paparazzi
to want to kill celebrities for a photo opportunity. :-)
(Note that Sigma's unassuming 28mm F1.8 Aspherical costs less than 1/10
of the above AF Nikkor!).

Now, C*n*n has come out with its new 24mm F1.4 USM lens, which sells for
a *paltry*(!!!) $1380. Hmm, if I lived in Tokyo, I wouldn't walk on the
sidewalk next to Nikon headquarters -- too much risk of being hit by yet
another Nikon VP jumping head first out the window. :-) :-)

Oh, and btw, Buddy, who is Denton?

Cheers,