Re: [OM] list etiquette question - fs posts?

Subject: Re: [OM] list etiquette question - fs posts?
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 11:01:20 -0800
Gary Edwards wrote:

>I'm a new subscriber but I've been shooting with Olympus since 1977.

Oh no, no, noooo!!! Not another Gary!!! We already have too many. Heck,
some people even started calling me "Denton" (not that there is anything
wrong with it :-)). Oh, where are the good old days when the only Gary on
the list was moi?

Jeez, look at me: I (me??!!) started longing for the good old days...
Next thing you know, I'll turn conservative! :-) :-)

Gary, welcome to the list. We are all harmless, lovable fuzzballs out
here (yeah, right...). Pls watch your back, and better retain a lawyer
-- I hear William Ginzburg(sp?) is available. :-)

>I've noticed very few posts to this list of OM gear for sale. Those who
>do post fs aren't flamed like on certain newsgroups.  Is there a charter
>to the Olympus list? What is the practice here? Are for sale posts
>accepted? [...] I have a shelf full of excess stuff myself....

First, a correction to your terminology: there is NO SUCH THING as excess
OM/Zuiko stuff -- only a few items that you're heartbroken to part with,
but must reluctantly sell in order to raise funds for even more exotic
OM toys. :-)

Second, it's perfectly ok to post OLY items for sale here. However, all
newcomers are required to acquiesce the rest of us by giving the current
list members significant discounts (at least 25%).

Seriously though, every now and then it's ok to put up a list of FS items,
or make it known that such a list exists and offer to e-mail it privately
to anyone who requests it, or to put up a "For Sale" web page and bring it
to the list's attention, or mention a FS item if it surfaces in an ongoing
discussion, etc.

In my experience, most of the time this list is pretty common-sensical,
tolerant, and has a rather high SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio). Oh, the OLY
list does have its occasional tantrums and/or bouts of sheer madness, and
every once in a while we do like to lynch an OLY traitor, but otherwise
we are a pretty tame bunch. :-)

IOW, if you contribute to  the list once in a while and maintain good OLY
credentials (shameless displays of OLY patriotism/fanaticism, and utter
disdain for the competing N/M/C/P/Y products are particularly well-regarded
here :-)), no one will be on your case for an occasional display of rabid
capitalism.

Now, what do you have? Pls feel free to e-mail me your list.

Cheers,