Re: [OM] Olympus Petition

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Petition
From: GPaul64@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 20:27:39 EDT

<< What would the votes be for one new lens, if everybody had one choice?

 It should definitely be a prestige lens, but relatively affordable (no 400
 2.8); should fill a glaring hole in the line; and most importantly, sell
 enough units to make Oly some real money--so that they might do it again.

 I vote for a 200 macro--here's why.

Denton,

Thanks for bringing this up.   We spend an awful amount of time here
discussing new camera bodies, but little about new lenses we would like to
see.   I am very content with the current OM bodies but the zuiko lens lineup
leaves me wanting in a few areas.   Especially considering the advances in
optics and design that have ocurred since the mid 70's when most Zuikos came
out.

Your suggestion of a 200 macro is outstanding.    I would dump my Tamron 180
2.5 (used with an extender and also with 1.4X)  in a heartbeat to get one,
even though that also is an excellent lens.

My other suggestion would be a 100-300 f5.6 zoom, of quality equal to the
latest Zeiss 100-300.    For my purposes, this lens would take the place of
two primes I haul around (300 4.5 and the 180 2.5), and also my 50-250 zoom.
As more of a landscape photographer, the 100-300 length is more versatile to
me than the 70-200 range,  and probably cheaper, too.    It fills what I
consider to be the most gaping hole in the Zuiko lineup.

All the best,

Greg Logiodice
Nyack, NY