Re: [OM] Ideal OM-1 Reissue? (was OM-5)

Subject: Re: [OM] Ideal OM-1 Reissue? (was OM-5)
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 13:51:45 +1000
I agree Tomoko. Totally. Mirror lockup, with the addition of a spot meter,
fully manual, right placing of a shutter speed dial. The only other nice
addition would be TTL flash. Ah, my dream camera.

I was interested in your comments about LED meters. I love the analogue
meter in my OM-1n, as I can see changes easily. (i.e. with the 2000 is 1/4
stop correct exposure or 1/2 out?). Low light is a problem though. I haven't
thought of an advantage of the LEDs until now.

Foxy

>Although I have indeed put in my wish for the OM2000 improved model which
is
>compatible with a motor drive/winder 2 and the OM focussing screens (1-x as
>well as 2-x screens), I thought to myself that in order for Olympus to sell
>such a model, they would have to bring back the OM-1 which obviously has a
>mythical significance.
>
>Having used the OM2000 for the past several months on and off, I have to
say
>that the OM2000 is a pretty good camera.  In order to make a budget model
>which sells millions of bodies, Olympus needs to invoke the name of the
>OM-1.
>
>My ideal OM-1 will be built like the OM2000, and will be much lighter than
>the original.  As such, it should not cost as much.  Unlike the
Cosina-built
>OM2000, the OM-1 reissue is a true OM camera in that it has its shutter
dial
>at the OM mount and would accept the MD 2/Winder 2 if needed.  The original
>OM-1 had a MLU, which is retained in the OM-1 reissue.
>
>There will be no auto exposure capabilities on this camera.  However,
unlike
>the original OM-1, metering includes spot metering and is displayed  in LED
>as on the 2000.  This LED display does have an advantage over the LCD
>display on the OM-4T which I have in that it is still possible to meter
your
>subject while you yourself are in the dark.  I was recently shooting stage
>performance with both the OM-4T and the OM2000.  I used the OM2000 as a
>backup, and mainly used the OM-4T.  I used the OM-4T in the auto mode only,
>hoping that setting the lens wide open most of the time, the shutter speed
>was fast enough although I could not see a thing in the display.   With the
>OM2000, however, I could see its LED display under the same lighting
>condition around me.
>
>At the moment, I don't know for sure I want the OM-1 reissue to have a
cloth
>shutter curtain or a metal one like in the 2000.   The multiple exposure
>capability as in the 2000 would be good to have in the reissue.  The range
>of shutter speeds as available on the 2000 would be fine on the reissue.
>This is not a do-everything camera.  This is a basic and mechanical OM body
>which can appeal to the following market:
>
>1) Photography students of all ages need to have an all mechanical camera
>with a spot meter to learn the basics of photography.
>
>2) A reliable backup body for the current OM users (amateurs and pro).
>Therefore the OM-1 reissue can be used with an MD/Winder 2.
Interchangeable