Re: [OM] Olympus Petition

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Petition
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 12:13:39 EDT
In a message dated 6/21/98 2:20:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< My vote: A special 2X converter with tripod collar for the 90/2 macro lens,
 designed just for this lens. This way you'd get a 180/4 macro lens all the
 way to 1:1 for the fraction of a cost of a true 180/200 mm macro lens.
 Surely this could be done  with the same excellent end-results as a true
 180-200 macro lens. And it would save my back just hauling around one lens.
 Ulf Westerberg >>

Hi Ulf,
When I got into Macro a few years ago, I was in a dilemma between going with
the 90mm or to go with the 65-116 Auto tube w/ macro lenses.  I noticed in OLY
literature that OLY does not show on any of its charts where one should add
extension to the 90mm to get to 1X mag. while they do for the 50 mm macros.  I
was a little concerned with this so I decided to go with the auto tube and 135
& 80mm macro lenses.  I am sure adding extension to the 90 mm works, I just
wonder why OLY does not recommend it.
On another note, I recently bought a Vivitar Series 1 (I think someone here
said it was made by Tokina).  It has an adapter / extension with glass to get
to 1X mag.  I ran a few test and confirmed that while the 90mm alone  @ 1/2 X
mag is very comparable to my 50mm Zuiko Macros.  When the adapter was added to
get to 1X mag.  It was not even a close second to the 80mm Zuiko & Auto tube.
I think adding an adapter (with glass) to get higher mag and increased WD is
not the same as designing a lens to reach a certain Mag.  So we might be
asking for to much from a lens designer.  Adding extension on the othe hand
is, but you will not get the working distance increase.  And WD increase is
the reason for looking for a 200 Macro.
This might be a question to ask OLY.   What are the Pros and Cons to using the
90mm Macro on an Auto Tube and why does OLY not list it as an alternative
method in their literature?
BW