Re: [OM] FOCUSING

Subject: Re: [OM] FOCUSING
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 23:33:00 EDT
<<
 > >I just received the new 70-200 lens from Wall St and am having a bear of
 > >time focusing it.  It looks great in the viewfinder but when I get the
pics
 > >back they are way out of focus.
 > >Any suggestions?
 >  >>
I would first check the focus of your screen versus your film plane.  Place a
yardstick or ruler propped up diagonally across a table.  Use a wide F stop
and a focusing magnifier or the split image to focus on a specific line on the
ruler.  Try to check each corner of the field of view.  When you get your pics
back, you will be able to see which line on the yardstick is in focus.  If
some are in focus and some are not, there is probably a mirror alignment
problem.  If all are in focus correctly, then there is nothing wrong with your
camera.  If they are all out of focus, check the seating of your screen,
mirror alignment, and your eyes.  I have heard of people trying to adjust the
alignment of their mirror with a piece of ground glass but it was an
incredible pain and lots of trial and error. Good luck.

Warren Kato