Re: [OM] Ideal OM-1 Reissue? (was OM-5)

Subject: Re: [OM] Ideal OM-1 Reissue? (was OM-5)
From: sunil manga <ameteep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 13:04:18 +0530
Dear Winsor Crosby,
Ref. TITANIUM / TOP& BOTTOM OM-4T Covers.
The 'VISIONAGE Vol.6', clearly states the following:
'TITANIUM has been adopted for the external body material. 'Ti' is well known
for its remarkable strength, lightness, resistance to heat, and the fact that
it does not rust.

However, the exceptional strength of Ti makes it extremely difficult to
process.
Shaping of the Ti parts for  theOM-4 TITANIUM adopts a deep PRESSING PROCESS,
which in itself is one of the most difficult of PRESS Technologies regardless
of the metal being shaped. Applying this Press technology for use with
ultra-hard Ti was to prove an exceptionally taxing endeavour which involved
several years of research before satisfactory results could be obtained'.

I am an ENGINEER Manufacturing MECHANICAL PRESSES and often give advise to
customers on Metal Processing.
I clearly endorse OLYMPUS stating that, TITANIUM isa tough Metal to DRAW or
Stamp.

In this regard LEITZ or LEICA have taken the easy path by electro-plating
TITANIUM on a BRASS or ALUMINIUM DIE CASTING for the M-6.
BRAVO OLYMPUS!!  Keep the TECHNOLOGY flowing to the user.

Any further questions will be gladly answered.
Sunil Manga.