[OM] 280 Flash Meltdown &Newbie on the list

Subject: [OM] 280 Flash Meltdown &Newbie on the list
From: Kerry Dressler <bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:17:14 -0400
Hi, folks,

        I just was directed to this list by a member.. and I'm thrilled.  I'm
no-longer alone!!  I've been using Olympus cameras professionally since
1977 and since I was living out of the country until '85 didn't run into
anyone but N*K*N types for years.  I have used my cameras in rough field
conditions for over 20 years and was really upset when I heard Olympus
Cameras weren't being manufactured anymore.??

        I can't say enough good about them.  I do almost totally MACRO work
(orchids, other plants and insects) up to 9X lifesize in the field with
Kodachrome 64 and flash.  Only problem I ever ran into in the field was
with the first OM2's. My flash would refuse to operate. They just couldn't
take full tropical "aqua cerros" (horrendous rain storms) and once and
awhile would go wonky on me.  The OM 4 T has NEVER given me a moments
problem with humidity in camera or flash.

        This last trip, however, my 280 flash acted up, was very HOT to the
touch
to the point that the front panel on the flash shows warping from the heat.
 All I can think of is that it developed a short somewhere and fused some
stuff ??

        So...  I've decided to carry two OM4Ts and 280s from now on, instead of
my
assortment, OM1, OM2 or 2N and OM4.  That way I don't have to worry about
switching film if I have a disaster, etc.  Anyhow, that means I have a lot
of equipment that I want to sell or barter for another OM4T and 280 Flash.
I have an assortment of stuff (over 20 years collection) but rather than
make a long posting, if anyone is looking for Zuiko lenses or other camera
bodies please just email me and I'll sent it along.  All my stuff has been
well kept, and works fine, but  isn't Mint on the outside. I've toted them
around the world several times.  I'd be happy to send them to a 3rd party
for evaluation, or whatever.

        Thanks, and I'm looking forward to participating in this forum.

                                Kerry Dressler

        Kerry Dressler                        Email:  bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Bio-Photo Services, Inc.                http://www.bio-photo.com
        21305 NW 86th Ave                       TEL:   (352)466-4215
        Micanopy, FL 32667             FAX:  (352)466-3151