Re: [OM] Hasselblad to launch 35mm camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Hasselblad to launch 35mm camera
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:00:09 +0200
Gary Schloss wrote:

> >photokina. [...] ARE YOU LISTENING OLYMPUS.>>
> >
> >That sounds pretty far-fetched.
> >if 'blad offers a 35mm, [...] they would use Zeiss lenses.
> >OTOH, where would that leave Contax/Kyocera? (which is why this REALLY
> >dosn't make sense!) A Blad body that could use my existing Contax lenses?
>
> My sentiments exactly. Not only would a new 35mm Hassy have to use
> Zeiss lenses, they'd have to license the Y/C mount. This really makes
> little economic sense for Kyocera, unless they succeeded in convincing
> Hasselblad to lend their name to a Contax twin which may appeal to
> some 'blad owners who have an overdeveloped sense of brand loyalty.

I don't see why Hasselblad should limit themselves to Zeiss lenses
if they want to make a 35mm camera (which I doubt they do). Rather
they can be expected to go for whatever they think is best. Zeiss
does make very fine fine lenses, but others could be possible. They
already use lenses from Rodenstock and Schneider in addition to Zeiss.
Imagine a Hasselblad with a Zuiko lens.

> Another plausible explanation is that Hasselblad has seen the light,
> and it's digital. Then, it would be logical to develop a new 35mm
> platform, as a digital MF platform won't be feasible for quite some
> time.

They already have digital backs for the current models. Granted they are
only good in the studio, but produce very high resolution. The backs use
scanning with a linear CCD. The description on the Hasselblad web page is
unfortunately mostly on principles, but they show photos of the digital backs.

> Of course, all this could be just another wild rumor or speculation.
> Where else if not on the internet? :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> /Gary Schloss.
> Studio City, CA
> schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"