Re:[OM] 280 Flash Meltdown & Newbie on the list

Subject: Re:[OM] 280 Flash Meltdown & Newbie on the list
From: Kerry Dressler <bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 07:34:37 -0400
Cc: gma@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:34:29 -0700
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Welcome to the list. We love to hear from PROs using OLY gear. Your first
question,
should you choose to answer it: What macro equipment do you use in the
field, ie
lenses, tubes etc. Any flashes other than F280? Ring flash? Thanks
george

Folks,

        I have been truly amazed by the notes I've received from Olympus users!
This is a very friendly list and not a single wise crack about "read all
back postings before writing" etc..  Believe me, some other lists are run
much more uncomfortably, and I've been blasted for just trying to get a toe
in the door.  I suspect it's the nature of the participants.. all Olympus
users, of course.  Anyhow, it has really made me feel like I"ve found a lot
of friends.

        About Macro work.  I work almost exclusively in Tropical Rain Forests.
My
husband is an Orchid Taxonomist (finds and names new species of Orchids and
other plants).  So.. I've had to adapt to rapidly moving excursions with no
time for setting up perfect shots.  One of the most important parts of my
gear is a good umbrella.  You can bet there is rain where the most
intersting stuff is found.  Tripods are out, usually the ground is very
uneven and very muddy.

        I always have 2 cameras, 2 or three flashes (T32, F 280, and one simple
flash), 24mm wide angle for tight spots, 90mm Macro (usually my Tamron with
stops up to 32), Zuiko 50mm Macro, Novoflex autobellows, and lots of
cleaning gear and extra batteries in a Photographer's backpack.  I
sometimes miss a shot of an animal because my stuff is so packed away, but
I've never lost a lens or camera due to a fall (which are frequent) in
water or on rocks.  It works for me.

        All my flash work is off camera, so I carry extra cables for that, too.
Thank goodness the orchids usually stay in one place so I can get good
shots.  The only rush stuff is if they have pollinators, and they can be
gnats!  I've a photo of an orchid, less than .25 inch long with a gnat even
smaller with pollinia on its shoulder. THAT was a difficult shot!  You
rarely get a second chance on something like that. Pollinators and Orchids
can't be collected for shooting in labs, etc.  Most high altitude stuff
will close before you get back down to the car so if's catch as catch can.
I don't use the ring flash, because in many instances I'm too close to my
subjects for it to work.  Holding the flash at an angle off the front of
the lens works better for me.

I'd be happy to answer any questions, anytime.. but you'll notice I tend to
long posts.  I'll try to cut them down.  I also have taught Field
Photography several times at the University of Panama and Universtiy of
Costa Rica.. mostly about how to make do when something breaks down.  I"m
really good at that.

        Hope this is what you wanted?

        Kerry

        Kerry Dressler                        Email:  bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Bio-Photo Services, Inc.                http://www.bio-photo.com
        21305 NW 86th Ave                       TEL:   (352)466-4215
        Micanopy, FL 32667             FAX:  (352)466-3151