Re:[OM] OM-2000 modification

Subject: Re:[OM] OM-2000 modification
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:34:54 -0400
Frank van Lindert, the left-eye shooter, wrote:
>Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 20:03:09 GMT

>I have recently acquired a like new OM-2000.

>I have played with it, and although it doesn't have the real
>OM-feeling the camera is rather nice indeed.
>But one thing is most irritating. The shutter (and the metering
>device) are blocked if the winder (after winding to the next frame) is
>pushed back completely along the body, as normally done with all other
>OM-cameras.
>After winding you will have to keep the winding lever in a 30-40
>degree angle to the camera back, sticking precisely into my right eye
>(I use my left eye for focusing) or hooking itself behind my glasses.
>I wonder if it is possible to modify the shutter - e.g. by removing
>the parts which cause the blocking when the winding lever is sitting
>flat against the back of the camera body.
Hmm, you were not paying attention when I was talking about the same problem
back in December or January.

There are two possible solutions to the problem.  The cable release can
defeat the shutter lock.  If you can pick up a very short cable release to
put on top of a shutter release button, you can open the shutter without
moving the film advance lever.  I used this approach for a while, but my
home-made device tends to come apart and get lost.  Since I am a right-eye
shooter, I have found out that as long as I cannot see the lever sticking
out, it does not bother me.  Since I have installed a dioptric correction
lens with an eye cup, I have been using the 2000 without my home-made short
shutter release.  The right-eye shooter without a need for dioptric
correction can fit an eye cup on the viewfinder to have the same effect.

The second solution is to cut off the tab which goes under the
shutter-release button.  Since I bought my OM2000 new, I have not tried that
approach.  I thought I would do it after the warranty has expired.  I have
no idea whether the shutter release lock mechanism or its tampering will
have any bearing on the operation of the multi-exposure lever.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
Home Page: http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/