Re: [OM] Ideal OM-1 Reissue? (was OM-5)

Subject: Re: [OM] Ideal OM-1 Reissue? (was OM-5)
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:40:56 +0200
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> I think it was a problem of Olympus being too far ahead of the market. They
> did produce a "bare" titanium model, but it was so odd looking next to
> everyone else's traditional chrome that I believe it did not do well in the
> marketplace and they quickly replaced it with a model in which the titanium
> was painted black.

The "odd" look of the first OM-4Ti was due to the inconsequence of
Olympus. They wanted to emphasise the preciouse titanium cover, like
N*k*n and C*n*n has done with there Ti models.
But they forgot to give the other metal parts an pure metal finish, like
the hot-shoe film winder lever, triger button, etc. Probably they saved
money on the wrong place, black finish is cheaper than chrome. Result
was a look less prestigeous than the "fake" M6Ti.

> The reason the black camera is more expensive is that the titanium top and
> bottom plate is much more difficult and expensive to produce, is lighter
> and stronger than traditional chrome plated brass or aluminum.

I had the OM-1 and OM-2 in mind, with either blackened or chrome cover
of brass. I guess there was never the posibility to choose the color of
your OM-4/Ti.

Richard