Re: [OM] OM-2000 modification

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2000 modification
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 19:24:49 GMT
On Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:34:54 -0400, "Tomoko Yamamoto"
<tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Frank van Lindert, the left-eye shooter, wrote:
>>Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 20:03:09 GMT
>
>>I have recently acquired a like new OM-2000.
snip

>Hmm, you were not paying attention when I was talking about the same problem
>back in December or January.

Sorry, Miss. Won't do it again, Miss. ;-)

As it happens, Tomoko, I skipped all the messages concerning OM2000
then. I had no idea that I would buy such a camera only six months
later - to be honest I had the idea that I would never buy this camera
at all. But this opportunity was just too good to let pass, in
particular because both zoom lenses were included, which I was curious
about.

>There are two possible solutions to the problem.  The cable release can
>defeat the shutter lock.  If you can pick up a very short cable release to
>put on top of a shutter release button, you can open the shutter without
>moving the film advance lever.  I used this approach for a while, but my
>home-made device tends to come apart and get lost.  Since I am a right-eye
>shooter, I have found out that as long as I cannot see the lever sticking
>out, it does not bother me.  Since I have installed a dioptric correction
>lens with an eye cup, I have been using the 2000 without my home-made short
>shutter release.  The right-eye shooter without a need for dioptric
>correction can fit an eye cup on the viewfinder to have the same effect.

But I am a left-eye shooter! BTW, we would make a good team sharing
one pair of binoculars...

>The second solution is to cut off the tab which goes under the
>shutter-release button.  Since I bought my OM2000 new, I have not tried that
>approach.  I thought I would do it after the warranty has expired.  I have
>no idea whether the shutter release lock mechanism or its tampering will
>have any bearing on the operation of the multi-exposure lever.
>
>Tomoko Yamamoto
>Photographer, Composer, Soprano
>mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
>Home Page: http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
>Olympus Classifieds: http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130

The second solution is what I was thinking about myself. I only hoped
that somebody had already done this modification - after all, although
I paid for a used camera mine is new too, and it came with a full
twelve months warranty starting when I bought it last week.

Thanks for your help, Tomoko.

Frank van Lindert.