Re: [OM] 280 Flash Meltdown & Newbie on the list

Subject: Re: [OM] 280 Flash Meltdown & Newbie on the list
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:06:16 EDT
In a message dated 6/23/98 4:41:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time, bio-photo@bio-
photo.com writes:
<<      I have been truly amazed by the notes I've received from Olympus users!
 This is a very friendly list and not a single wise crack about "read all
 back postings before writing" etc..
 Anyhow, it has really made me feel like I"ve found a lot of friends.

Snip!
Welcome Kerry,
Yep, there is a great bunch of OLY users here, it's like reading a good book
on OLY every day.

        About Macro work.  I work almost exclusively in Tropical Rain Forests.
Snip!
Have you ever been to Guatemala.  I was there on a college field trip in the
70's, a little town called Cobon (I think).  A little old lady showed me her
Orchid garden.  It was something I will never forget.  And I am not into
flowers!

All my flash work is off camera, so I carry extra cables for that, too.
 Thank goodness the orchids usually stay in one place so I can get good
 shots.  The only rush stuff is if they have pollinators, and they can be
 gnats!  I've a photo of an orchid, less than .25 inch long with a gnat even
 smaller with pollinia on its shoulder. THAT was a difficult shot!  You
 rarely get a second chance on something like that. Pollinators and Orchids
 can't be collected for shooting in labs, etc.  Most high altitude stuff
 will close before you get back down to the car so if's catch as catch can.
 I don't use the ring flash, because in many instances I'm too close to my
 subjects for it to work.  Holding the flash at an angle off the front of
 the lens works better for me. Kerry>>

I am interested in your close-up flash set up.  You said you use the F280.  Do
you use this for close-ups.  If so, are you using the SP mode or TTL?  Also,
what did you not like about the ring flash?
When you have time, send a few pictures to Garth Woods Gallery.
BW