[OM] "Zuiko"

Subject: [OM] "Zuiko"
From: "Andrew Wiese" <aw_oly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 02:57:57 PDT
Hi all,

Last week (I think) in a reply to my query about the 'word' "bokeh",
someone (I forget whom, so sue me) suggested "zuiko" was untranslatable.
This may be old news, of course, to all hardened Olympians, but my found
copy of the OM System Zuiko Lens Manual (circa 1976) claims, and I
quote:

"In 1936, [Olympus] began the production of cameras and camera lenses
and selected "ZUIKO", meaning 'blissful light' and derived from its
research laboratory, as the brand name for all Olympus camera lenses".

Just Rambling ;-)

Andy

P.S. This manual, helpfully, tells me, in the last paragraph of the
booklet, while discussing the selection of interchangeable lenses and in
the course of considering the usefuleness of the 24mm/f2 in low light
(and in parentheses) that the use of two or more filters combined may
result in vignetting.

Happily I already knew this; it happened to me a month ago in an
otherwise perfect shot of an ornate Chinese building.

:-)