Re: [OM] Tripods in the Rain Forest/ Eye Dominance

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripods in the Rain Forest/ Eye Dominance
From: "John Gardner" <vu49@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:34:52 +0100
Kerry

Snip...

>  Not to mention wet and filthy.  You really need to be
> at their height to get good habitat shots, and their height may only be a
> couple of inches..  Even the small table pods are just too tall.

I would agree that you need to always be at your subject's level for the
best shot. Beanbags are good for ground level but I do use the benbo
tripod. I have a special benbo right angle adapter which fits on the base
of the centre column. For ground level shooting you unscrew the tripod head
and fit it to the base of the centre column on this adapter. Because of the
angle of the adapter, your tripod head is now in the normal operating
position but at ground level (that's probably as clear as the mud you're
lying in). It works a treat.

 I assume from your post that you are hand holding and using flash to both
illuminate the subject and kill camera shake, but how does the flash affect
the colour of the orchids in the photo. To me (as a semi-pro wildlife
photographer) bright sun or flash usually spoil a good flower shot. Bright
overcast days are by far better but often require a wind tent as its a
continual play off for DOF against T speed. Plants have no visible means of
locomotion yet they are *never* still.

Last night I was out shooting Pyramidal Orchids which are just at their
peak here in the UK.

Regards,

John

PS Just for the record: I am a left eye shooter but right handed.