Re:[OM] 280 Flash Meltdown & Newbie on the list

Subject: Re:[OM] 280 Flash Meltdown & Newbie on the list
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:39:55 +1000
Kerry, I too found your mail very interesting (and certainly inspiring!),
so please don't cut your mails down! I love to read what other Oly users
are up to, and some of the novel ways they use their gear to solve
particular problems/situations. I'm sure many others on the list do too.

I can second the comments about Benbos being good in mud and wet. I have
one of the big ones (Benbo Mk II I think?) and I can stand it in about
18-24" of mud or water without any problems. It is very weird until you get
used to it though, and I don't think it is ideal for normal upright use
with say a 300mm+lens.

 It is great with a medium ball head (I have a Bogen/Manfrotto - still
saving for an Arca Swiss B1 and RRS plates) teamed with a focus rail for
natural light shots. It allows great flexibility in positioining,
especially around the banks of creeks/streams, under fallen tree trunks for
things like fungi, insects. My big benbo can also go to about 8 feet high
(with no centre post extension), which has come in handy when I want a high
viewpoint -  I can stand on a rock or log or rock ledge, and have the
camera still at eye level even though the tripod legs don't fit on whatever
it is I'm standing on. It is pretty heavy though (but very stable) -
definitely the kind of beast I wouldn't carry on a three day hike - one day
with it and you know you've been carrying it!

For use in the jungle etc I'd tend to lean (no pun intended!!) towards the
smaller versions if you were looking at getting a benbo.