Re: [OM] Tripods in theRain Forest

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripods in theRain Forest
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:48:03 EDT
Hi Kerry:

>       I am working on a collection of aquatic plant photos for Florida.  We
> did
>  an ID manual for the Univ. of Florida  in 1981, but my collection is still
>  growing.

Ah, that is where I recognize your work.  I've used that manual, but had
borrowed copies.  Glad to know it was shot with the OM system!

For my Florida field work, I use fill flash at 1-2 stops under the ambient
light.  (Previous Digests have a thread on flash techniques, esp. non-OTF,
manual shooting).  I'm looking forward to using the new Kodak 200 speed slide
film so I can get that balanced effect in the hammocks without the sacrifices
of using 200 speed films of old, although some of those mesic hammocks can
require a 400 speed, at which point I pass on the flower shots.

I also know that excitement of being the first to get photos of a newly
described species.  I also got skunked last fall in Florida looking for
flowering in a population of a presumed new species, which can't be described
until it decides the year is right for reproduction.  There are a few being
illustrated and described from Florida right now.  The OLY macro system makes
an easy task of plant photography!  Combine a love for the subject (plants)
with an OLY and the result are shots that folks think are magical.  Plus, it
is hard for other systems to duplicate what you can get with the 80 mm Macro
Zuiko!  Like for shooting the genus Euphorbia, where rendering the subtle
details are critical.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV (and seasonally, Avon Park AFR, FL)